WinSCP Plugin to Altap Salamander File Manager
Altap Salamander is a small and fast two-pane (“orthodox”) shareware file manager with open plugin architecture. WinSCP plugin adds SFTP/SCP support to the manager.
Opening WinSCP Plugin
There are several ways to open WinSCP in Altap Salamander. By default WinSCP integrates to change drive menu (
Alt-F2). Find menu item SFTP/SCP Client (WinSCP). It opens Login dialog. Either select a stored session you want to use or create new one. When you are connected, you may work with remote files, just as if they are on the local drive.
You can also access WinSCP plugin via Plugins menu or using Plugins Bar. This way you can access WinSCP-specific functions (Synchronize or Keep remote directory up to date) and plugin configuration.
What Can It Do?
The following list contains the most significant features of the plugin:
- Basic file operations (copy, move, delete, make folder, rename, duplicate).
- Background transfers.
- Change file attributes: permissions, owner and group.
- Manage stored sessions list.
- Custom columns for file panel (Link target, Rights, Owner, Group).
- Execute command on remote server. To do so, just type the command on the Altap Salamander command line, while the WinSCP panel is the active one.
- Synchronization, Keep remote directory up to date.
What Can’t It Do?
The features of the WinSCP application supported neither by the WinSCP plugin nor by Altap Salamander are listed below.
- Remote file editing.
- Add/edit hard and symbolic links.
- Location profiles. Only bookmarks are supported.
- Store configuration to INI file instead of Windows registry.
- Custom commands.
- Import the session list from PuTTY.
- Cleanup WinSCP data.
- Synchronized browsing.
Public Key Tools
You can authenticate using public keys with the plugin. To generate a key pair, use the PuTTYgen application. Read also how to use the Pageant application for a public keys authentication. You can find more information on the PuTTY homepage. You need to download the tools separately.
To see what is new, see version history.