UTF-8 characters not showing up properly

Advertisement

eiji-gravion

UTF-8 characters not showing up properly

Hello,

I noticed a few UTF-8 characters that show up as a question mark (?), and a few that if in a folder name, display correctly, but don't allow you go access them.

Examples:

Folders with ⁄⁄ display correctly, but don't allow you to access them.
Folders/files with ♥ ✴ show up as a question mark, and don't allow you to access them.

I'm sure there are other examples, but these are the ones I've noticed so far.

Thanks

Advertisement

eiji-gravion

My apologies, I forgot to mention that I'm using the latest version of WinSCP (4.3.9), and I've tried using FTP and FTPES for the protocol.

Thanks again.

srynoname

I am on 5.1.0.2625, using SFTP, the german umlaut ä isn't displayed correctly. I guess winscp uses some external library for ssh / ftps, I'd like to note that when using putty to ssh into the machine, I have to change the encoding to UTF-8 for it to properly display the german ä. Maybe it's the same problem here? Besides that, great software!

Advertisement

srynoname

I don't know why, but even without modifying this setting it's now suddenly displayed correctly ;-) But I will remember this setting, if I have this problem again ;-)

JoKalliauer

error decoding utf-8 string

I have the same Problem: with (Ä Ö Ü ä ö ü)
In WinSCP 5.5.2:
If i enable UTF-8: (� � � � � �)
If i disable UTF-8: (? ™ „ +– )

In WinSCP 4.3.2:
If i enable UTF-8: Error: error decoding utf-8 string
If i disable UTF-8: (? ™ „ +– )

Ps. (I have a german version, so I don't know the exact englisch errormessage)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: error decoding utf-8 string

JoKalliauer wrote:

I have the same Problem: with (Ä Ö Ü ä ö ü)
Please attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Advertisement

JoKalliauer

Thank's for linking how to enable Logging. (I am a newbee in WinSCP, I don't know much about WinSCP.)
But I think the log won't help you, cause there is no message.
It just decodes the letters wrong. (Don't know how to write it right in English.)

best regards
Johannes
Description: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<session xmlns="https://winscp.net/schema/session/1.0" name="joka@bizfs1.htu.tuwien.ac.at" start="2014-03-24T17:09:53.734Z">
</session>

JoKalliauer

I enabled the Session log in https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_logging

The file should be atteached.
Description: . 2014-03-27 13:51:15.325 Closing connection.
. 2014-03-27 13:51:15.325 Sending special code: 12
. 2014-03-27 13:51:15.329 Sent EOF message
. 2014-03-27 13:51:20.383 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. 2014-03-27 1

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks. Can you please enable Debug 2-level logging?

Also, how was those files created?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

JoKalliauer wrote:

I made them with WinSCP
Version 5.5.2 (Build 4130)
(I don't understand the Question.)
OK, that's a different problem then. I need to see a log showing how you upload the file. Ideally to an empty folder.

LaytXP

How did he solve it? I have the same problem. If I force UTF-8 I can't download the files from the server. The program returns the error message, that the file doesn't exist.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: UTF-8 characters not showing up properly

Can anyone provide me a tests account on a server? Or at least help me with testing a possible workaround?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

LaytXP wrote:

I would be glad to help you. But I can only try a workaround, as I can't give you a test-account.
Thanks. Can you please send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Dietrich

error decoding utf-8 string

I followed this discussion and don't see the solution.???? What can I do. In the newest version I don't find the possibility to force utf-8.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum