Topic "Case sensitivity of filenames not preserved"

nick13

I don't think "preserved" is the right way to describe the problem but let me explain what's happening. I'm using 4.3.6 and I'm trying to move some files for a client first to my machine, then onto another location. Some of the files have similar names but have different case ie. RTV88.pdf and rtv88.pdf ... incidentally, the two files are identical but the names are different, don't ask me why they've done this. When I copy these files in bulk or individually, one will copy over the other as if they are exactly the same file name. For example, if I already have RTV88.pdf on the local side and try to copy rtv88.pdf, I end up only with rtv88.pdf on the local side presumably because WinSCP has treated the two files as the same and overwritten the old with the new. I have tried this both to an SMB share on an Ubuntu machine I use for development, as well as onto my local desktop (Windows 7) with the same result so I don't think that this is the result of the destination filesystem being case-insensitive.

I've never experienced this problem before in years of working with WinSCP so I figured I must have been sloppy and accidentally clicked a setting that made the program ignore case-sensitivity in file names. I checked Preferences->Transfer and Filename modification is set to "No change". I've also gone through all of the settings menus and buttons on the UI and don't see anything that would explain this. Is there a setting that I've missed that will fix this problem or is this actually a bug?

Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
nick13 wrote:
I have tried this both to an SMB share on an Ubuntu machine I use for development, as well as onto my local desktop (Windows 7) with the same result so I don't think that this is the result of the destination filesystem being case-insensitive.

It is exactly opposite. On Windows, file name are always case-insensitive, no matter what the file system is.
So there's nothing you or WinSCP can do about it.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License