Topic "Remove the requirement to auto-connect"

yereverluvinunclebert
[View user's profile]

When I start Winscp it always pops up the session/site manager. Often the very last thing I want to do is to make a connection, I simply click close and the session/site manager closes and takes winscp with it. This is annoying and wrong.

I might simply wish to open WinSCP to change some settings, to check the program version or something similar. I should not need to open a connection to a site in order to do that.

If for example, my system has been infected by a trojan I would specifically NOT want Winscp to make any sort of connection but I might want to look at WinSCPs configuration settings.

If my sites won't connect for some reason, router or host down I don't want to have to attempt to connect to an unavailable site (and fail) just to start WinSCP.

By default this behaviour should be disabled. WinSCP should merely start and sit there awaiting a connection attempt.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Thanks for your post.

This request is being tracked already:
https://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=857

Anyway, you can change preferences, check connection settings, check program version, etc. directly from the initial Login dialog.

I've just been trying out WinSCP today, having had issues with the current version of FileZilla Client. The biggest difficulty I've found in adapting to WinSCP is the requirement to connect before the file selection window opens; and likewise the program completely exiting when the last connection is closed. Can the possibility of opening the file window without connecting, and likewise disconnecting without exiting the program, be considered?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
It's our plan for the next major release.

prikryl wrote:
It's our plan for the next major release.

Thanks prikryl, good to know.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License