Topic "FTPS - FEAT Command"

Author Message
dsutcliffe
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-12-16
Posts: 4
Location: UK
In SmartFTP for FTPS-Explicit there is a Connection option called "Send FEAT" with a value of "Send before and after login". The effect is to send a FEAT command immediately after connecting before the AUTH, USER etc. and again another "normal" FEAT after the login.

The FTPS server I have to access needs this double FEAT business otherwise it returns the error "534 Local policy on server does not allow TLS secure connections.".

I would like to have this in WinSCP.net as my software is all based on the WinSCP .NET & COM and not SmartFTP.

Could you add a SessionOption to specify when you send the FEAT command, e.g. "After Login" or "Before and after login"?
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 26462
Location: Prague, Czechia
Sorry, but I do not think this requirement is anyhow backed by an FTP specification.
dsutcliffe
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-12-16
Posts: 4
Location: UK
martin wrote:
Sorry, but I do not think this requirement is anyhow backed by an FTP specification.


I am guessing but it looks like SmartFTP's "fix" for virtual FTP hosts. "to differentiate between multiple DNS names that are registered for a single IP address."

SmartFTP https://www.smartftp.com/nb-no/support/kb/2638

FTP Spec https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7151
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 26462
Location: Prague, Czechia
To support virtual FTP hosts, the client has to send HOST command, not FEAT command.
WinSCP does support HOST command:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login_ftp
dsutcliffe
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-12-16
Posts: 4
Location: UK
martin wrote:
To support virtual FTP hosts, the client has to send HOST command, not FEAT command.
WinSCP does support HOST command:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login_ftp


Attached is an SmartFTP log (I have only changed the server name). They are sending the FEAT before the HOST command presumably they chose FEAT because it can be run un-authenticated.

I do not know why this enables me to connect to the particular server that I need to, but it does and I cannot connect using WinSCP.
SFTP Log.txt (1.78 KB) Private file

Description: (none)

martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 26462
Location: Prague, Czechia
That's probably just a side-effect. SmartFTP needs to find out that the server supports the HOST command. For that it runs FEAT command. By default it runs it only after authentication, what is too late.

While in WinSCP, you can explicitly configure it to use the HOST command, even without using FEAT command. Did you tried that?
dsutcliffe
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-12-16
Posts: 4
Location: UK
martin wrote:
That's probably just a side-effect. SmartFTP needs to find out that the server supports the HOST command. For that it runs FEAT command. By default it runs it only after authentication, what is too late.

While in WinSCP, you can explicitly configure it to use the HOST command, even without using FEAT command. Did you tried that?


Hi Martin, many thanks for your help, adding SessionOptions.AddRawSettings "FtpHost", "0" to my VBS script did the trick, brilliant! I could not get the GUI to play but the .net works and that's all I need.

My apologies, FEAT for WinSCP was just a red-herring.

Thanks again,
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License