WinSCP slow speed SCP/SFTP - How I fixed it

Advertisement

MarcoP

WinSCP slow speed SCP/SFTP - How I fixed it

Hi folks,

old servers I knew were capped at 10Mb/s, so when WinSCP reported 1MB/s I was actually happy with it, so I stopped paying attention to it.

Recently I noticed that even from 1Gb/s and 100Mb/s servers, WinSCP was still downloading at 1MB/s so I got curious and then little frustrated when I noticed culprits were always the same servers, while others ranged from +4.5MB/s.

I changed most relevant settings but the one that actually worked was to disable Connection -> Optimize connection buffer size.

Cheers

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP slow speed SCP/SFTP - How I fixed it

Thanks for sharing your solution.

marcolussetti

I wanted to also thank the OP for the solution, and to note that my transfer speed went from ~550 KB/s to ~2.8 MB/s with no other changes but this single tweak. Should this be noted on the FAQ entry for this? I found it via FAQ -> Bug 164 -> Here, but I feel like not everyone would follow through that trail :)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

marcolussetti wrote:

Should this be noted on the FAQ entry for this?
Are you referring to some specific FAQ entry? Or are you asking for a new FAQ entry?

Advertisement

Wildcat

Much faster here!

Worked for me here also. It is now several times faster than it was before I changed the setting.

wow... this worked for me also. I was copy files on my LAN with scp and it topped out at 1200kb/s, and after I did this, I am now copying at 32MB/s.

MarcoP wrote:

Hi folks,

I changed most relevant settings but the one that actually worked was to disable Connection -> Optimize connection buffer size.

Thank You!

Advertisement

reallyreally

re:

Spend like 300GBP for new switch because was thinking maybe my network issue tweak all setting on my gigabyte card update firmware.

Speed test show full gigabyte speed, but winscp (newest) was slow max 8-13MB/s 10 diffrent servers centos ubuntu xserver my datacenter backup dirffrent configuration scp sfpt ...

Then install FileZilla spft =====>>>> and get 32MB/s

This is official only one solution

You waste my time never in my life i will be use winscp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply with quote E-mail

eddie4

Hahaha your lack of debugging disturbs me. As does your willingness to buy random hardware to solve your issue. This is a opensource project as is filezilla you should thank the developers not berate them when you have an issue.

Advertisement

savvykong

Is this a GUI only solution? I have a third party software workflow that utilizes WinSCP scripting under the hood. Would there be an equivalent setting in some config file somewhere? Thank you!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

savvykong wrote:

Is this a GUI only solution? I have a third party software workflow that utilizes WinSCP scripting under the hood. Would there be an equivalent setting in some config file somewhere? Thank you!
Equivalent to what?

savvykong

martin wrote:

Equivalent to what?

A scripting equivalent to the "Optimize connection buffer size" checkbox in the GUI. But after reading through WinSCP documentation further I found what I was looking for - "SendBuf".

glenhall

i always noticed this with winscp, when i compare downloading something with filezilla or the old flashFXP client, winSCP always seemed slower as if it was capped, so im glad i found this subject here, but when i go into my site manager/advanced, i can see the optimize option but its greyed out and i cant untick it.
i have a passive option with can be ticked/unticked

Annotation 2019-02-20 094041.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

glenhall wrote:

i always noticed this with winscp, when i compare downloading something with filezilla or the old flashFXP client, winSCP always seemed slower as if it was capped, so im glad i found this subject here, but when i go into my site manager/advanced, i can see the optimize option but its greyed out and i cant untick it.
i have a passive option with can be ticked/unticked
The option is not available/relevant to FTP protocol.

MarcoP wrote:

Hi folks,

disable Connection -> Optimize connection buffer size.

Cheers

Awesome. This brought my local Ethernet performance from 750KB/s to 35MB/s(!!!)

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum