Topic "Problem with foreign character file and directory names"

getmeoutofhere
[View user's profile]

I am attempting to transfer files from an XP computer to an Ubuntu 7.04 computer, using WinSCP. Overall the program works very well. However, I am unable to accurately transfer the names of folders and files, that contain diacriticals. There are a number of names that have Polish and Slovak characters in Windows XP, and when they appear on the other computer they are stripped out, and replaced with diamonds with question marks. Both computers have installed on them the relevant support for Polish and Slovak characters. Any ideas? Thanks.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
What protocol are you using? What is your server? What is your UTF-8 session settings?

I'm not a sophisticated user, and I just wanted a simple system to transfer files from my wife's XP machine to an Ubuntu 7.04 machine. Having had no problems transferring files between two Ubuntu machines, using ssh, I didn't think there would be much of a problem. I was using the SFTP protocol, to transfer using Winscp, XP => Ubuntu. I tried ticking the advanced options, and clicking OFF for server does not use UTF-8, but that didn't make any difference, I still had the problems.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
If your server does not support UTF, you may not be able to solve the problem. But I cannot tell as I do no know what server are you using.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think UTF-8 support is a problem - the Ubuntu machine, acting as a server, has no problems with UTF-8 - as I said, I can transfer foreign character files names without corruption, between Ubuntu machines, using SSH (openssh). The problem is I believe with the transfer mechanism, and that's WinSCP.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
getmeoutofhere wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I don't think UTF-8 support is a problem - the Ubuntu machine, acting as a server, has no problems with UTF-8 - as I said, I can transfer foreign character files names without corruption, between Ubuntu machines, using SSH (openssh). The problem is I believe with the transfer mechanism, and that's WinSCP.

I haven't meant the server as a machine, but the SFTP server. Knowing now it is OpenSSH... It does not support UTF-8, AFAIK. The fact you are able to transfer file correctly between two Ubuntu machines means nothing, as both sides are using the same locale encoding.

This is WinSCP which could have first a problem with UTF8. No need to start a down or upload to see it.
Create a folder with a name containing a UTF8 caracter, for example U+FF3F "fullwidth underscore", and try to navigate to it with WinSCP: you can't, winSCP said that it doesn't exist (so you won't be able to upload it)...
Roger

I have alsp problem with some charecter.

My disk is connect to a Linksys and I can use for example but not when I use WinSCP
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Cortex wrote:
This is WinSCP which could have first a problem with UTF8. No need to start a down or upload to see it.
Create a folder with a name containing a UTF8 caracter, for example U+FF3F "fullwidth underscore", and try to navigate to it with WinSCP: you can't, winSCP said that it doesn't exist (so you won't be able to upload it)...

Still, I do not think it is problem of WinSCP. what server do you use?
My guess is that the server reports the name of the directory with normal underscore, because it does not support Unicode. Hence it cannot after find the directory, when WinSCP requests to list its content.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Roger wrote:
My disk is connect to a Linksys and I can use for example but not when I use WinSCP

Please read FAQ. If that does not help, come back.

prikryl wrote:
Roger wrote:

Please read FAQ. If that does not help, come back.

So if I only can use FTP is it not supported?

"For SCP and FTP protocols filename encoding conversion is not supported at all"
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Roger wrote:

Well, in fact it is. I have updated the FAQ.

prikryl wrote:
Roger wrote:

Well, in fact it is. I have updated the FAQ.

Okey, Have you any timeframe for 4.1.0 ?

Thanks
huotg01
[View user's profile]

I seem to have a similar problem.

I have a "NAS" on my LAN (WD MyBook World). I setup shared directory on it.

Two cases with the same laptop:
    when I map the drive directly throuhgt Windows Explorer, the accented characters are there.
    when I access the drive throught WinSCP, no more accented characters

I read the FAQ but...I'm not sure of what should be checked.

Thanks for your help.

G.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Quote:

In a week or so. But maybe you have missed the point. It already works in current release! Just that the option is on SFTP tab, although it affect FTP sessions as well.
Site Admin
huotg01 wrote:
Two cases with the same laptop:
    when I map the drive directly throuhgt Windows Explorer, the accented characters are there.
    when I access the drive throught WinSCP, no more accented characters

I read the FAQ but...I'm not sure of what should be checked.

Then, the "Remark" section of the FAQ applies to you.

I have read it. Sorry to ask that Sad , but what should I understand ?

I may be blind to the obvious !...

Thanks
Roger

prikryl wrote:
Quote:

In a week or so. But maybe you have missed the point. It already works in current release! Just that the option is on SFTP tab, although it affect FTP sessions as well.

Thanks, No It works better with foreign characters. But

when I syncronize, the source have 894 files (598MB) and the remote directory have only 880 files (579MB). Have I still problem with same files with foreign caracters?
Roger

Roger wrote:
prikryl wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, No It works better with foreign characters. But

when I syncronize, the source have 894 files (598MB) and the remote directory have only 880 files (579MB). Have I still problem with same files with foreign caracters?

After a syncronize the target file date is not the same as the source. The file got a new file date (date of today). So the next syncronize will be wrong.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License