Topic "Copy HTTP URL? Add/modify context-menu shortcut?"

Author Message
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
Hi, I just downloaded and installed WinSCP a short while ago ... very glad I did!!! It's VERY fast and easy to use learn. I have 2 (hopefully) quick questions:

1. When I right-click on a file in the remote browser, under file Names I see

copy to clipboard
copy to clipboard (include paths)
copy URL to clipboard

The third option copies the sftp URL to the clipboard. Is there a way to copy the http URL to the clipboard?

2. On the context-menu under File Names, I notice that there is no shortcut for "copy URL to clipboard". I explored the UI and searched the archive, but I don't yet see how to add or modify a context-menu shortcut. Can this be done? How?

Thanks!
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
VLM wrote:
Is there a way to copy the http URL to the clipboard?

EDIT: There's extension for Generating HTTP URL.


Quote:
...but I don't yet see how to add or modify a context-menu shortcut. Can this be done? How?

No.
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
Thanks, I'll explore the scriptiong idea. Appreciate the example.
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
BTW, you may be interested to know that SmartFTP does this, and it appears to work fine. I'm no programmer, so I don't comprehend the issues involved. I'm just letting you know, in case it's something you wish to follow up on.

Cheers!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
VLM wrote:
BTW, you may be interested to know that SmartFTP does this, and it appears to work fine. I'm no programmer, so I don't comprehend the issues involved. I'm just letting you know, in case it's something you wish to follow up on.

I see. SmartFTP has global settings for that. You have to specify the same data as you need to specify in the script shown in the FAQ. Moreover there as the settings in SmartFTP are global, it can hardly work with multiple different servers. But if I find that more people would find it more user friendly, I can add similar function as SmartFTP has.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
prikryl wrote:
I see. SmartFTP has global settings for that.

OK, I take this back. Apparently they have per-session settings for that.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
Hope it's okay to pursue this just a bit further. What I do like about SmartFTP, in this instance, is their use of tabs to display diverse remote connections. In my experience, these can be to any server or combination of servers. Again, I'm speaking only as a user, without technical understanding. I mean only to share what I happen to like in this one instance.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
VLM wrote:
Hope it's okay to pursue this just a bit further. What I do like about SmartFTP, in this instance, is their use of tabs to display diverse remote connections. In my experience, these can be to any server or combination of servers. Again, I'm speaking only as a user, without technical understanding. I mean only to share what I happen to like in this one instance.

OK, do you miss possibility to open more connections in one windows (WinSCP support that) or the tabs to switch between the connections? (WinSCP has different means to do so, e.g. the session combo box, see doc).
_________________
Martin Prikryl
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
As I pause for a moment and think about this, I like (or would like) 2 things:

1. Full view of open connections. The tabs provide this jus a bit more obviously, in a visual sense, than does the session combo box. I realize this is entirely personal preference, and that there is no functional difference at all.

2. Ease of switching between using keyboard shortcuts. MS Outlook provide an example I happen to like. A user can press ctrl-1 or ctrl-2 to switch between the mail and calendar windows, similarly for the other windows (which I use much les frequently and therefore have not memorized the shortcuts).

Does this input help?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
VLM wrote:
1. Full view of open connections. The tabs provide this jus a bit more obviously, in a visual sense, than does the session combo box. I realize this is entirely personal preference, and that there is no functional difference at all.

I see. This issue has been added to tracker.

Quote:
2. Ease of switching between using keyboard shortcuts. MS Outlook provide an example I happen to like. A user can press ctrl-1 or ctrl-2 to switch between the mail and calendar windows, similarly for the other windows (which I use much les frequently and therefore have not memorized the shortcuts).

Please read documentation for list of shortcuts you can use for switching between sessions.
VLM
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2008-06-06
Posts: 12
Yes, I see ... ctrl-tab will suit me just fine. Thank you!
Parm

Guest


I'd also love to see the option to copy HTTP urls implemented
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
Parm wrote:
I'd also love to see the option to copy HTTP urls implemented

EDIT: There's extension for Generating HTTP URL.
Parm

Guest


I did read the FAQs, and I tried looking into the custom commands but it appeared complicated for a novice user.

I had previously used SmartFTP, and its implementation of HTTP url copying was really good and easy to configure. Unfortunately, it ceased being freeware and I then switched to WinSCP.

Really liking it so far, only having two problems:
1) Can't copy HTTP urls to clipboard
2) My ftp connection drops out when inactive (I do have it set to keep active) and the pop-up reconnect prompt can be a little obtrusive

Other than that, it's working very well. Smile
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
This request has been added to tracker.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24993
Location: Prague, Czechia
Parm wrote:
2) My ftp connection drops out when inactive (I do have it set to keep active) and the pop-up reconnect prompt can be a little obtrusive

This is tracker already as well.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Bruno Oliveira

Guest


FTP Rush is freeware and copy http URL !!!

I am a fan winscp, but this function keeps me a little of it, and as I'm terrible with commands, the FAQ scares me!

So I am very adept at ftp rush!
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License