Topic "How to set UTF-8 = "On" as default?"

Wamiduku
[View user's profile]

In the environment settings, you can set UTF-8 encoding for filenames to Auto, On or Off before you connect. The default is Auto, but it doesn't work (at least not with /). How do you change the default to "On", so that you don't have to set it every time you connect?
Advertisements

Can't you set it, then re-save the connection settings?
Wamiduku
[View user's profile]

Yes, I can save it for a specific session, but I don't use saved sessions.

The reason for not using saves sessions, is that when the network goes down, WinSCP can reconnect unattended with a pre-entered password. If you use a saved session, WinSCP can't reconnect unattended because it needs you to enter the password again. (Well, you could save the password in the saved session, but that's a bad idea.)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
See Set defaults button on Stored sessions tab of Login dialog.

Wamiduku wrote:
The reason for not using saves sessions, is that when the network goes down, WinSCP can reconnect unattended with a pre-entered password.

...while I could never imagine not using Saved Sessions, I did some testing...I never knew if you entered the password on that dialog, before connecting, it would "keep it around". So far, I've always been double-clicking on the Saved Session, typing the password (cuz I don't save the password in the Session), then I click Open Terminal & have to type the password again. During testing however, I selected a Saved Session, clicked Edit, typed the Password in that box, as if I was gonna save it to the Session, but then pressed Enter (aka Login)...that allows me to "login automatically" without typing the password 500 more times. Nice.

So, some requests...

• Can you have the "Password Prompt" (what you get by double-clicking a Saved Session that doesn't have a password) have a checkbox that would do it the way I described above?..."keep the password handy"
  • Maybe have a Session setting for the above "Keep password handy" checkbox...(so the default state of the checkbox can be a per-Session setting)
...I don't wanna save the password in the Session, but I also don't wanna, select it, press Edit, type the password in that box, then press Enter. I want to double-click, type the password there & not type it again for that Session.

prikryl wrote:
See Set defaults button...

...ah, I guess that'd do it. One Question: is there a way to undo "Set Defaults"? Get back to the real defaults?

Speaking of "Reset to Defaults"...is there an easy way to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults"? Previously, I really screwed up my toolbars (because they are not locked by default), then I dug into the settings/registry & deleted (backing up of course!) the settings related to toolbars, that made it worse, instead of not finding the settings & using defaults, it really messed it up more (this was a while ago, so I'm trying to remember). Then I deleted the whole key about toolbar settings & then that did reset it (so not finding the registry key = reset, finding blank toolbar info/not finding a registry key's value = wonky). In general, I accomplished what I wanted, to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults", but it wasn't easy.

So, more requests...

• Can you Lock the Toolbars by default?
    ...&/or...
  • Have a really easy way to Reset them?
Also, is WinSCP.ini the default settings location now? I started with WinSCP 3.8.2 & I guess it defaulted to the registry & every version since seems to be keeping the registry default (I know I can change that radio button to the ini, but I haven't yet).
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Anonymous wrote:
  • Can you have the "Password Prompt" (what you get by double-clicking a Saved Session that doesn't have a password) have a checkbox that would do it the way I described above?..."keep the password handy"
  • Maybe have a Session setting for the above "Keep password handy" checkbox...(so the default state of the checkbox can be a per-Session setting)
...I don't wanna save the password in the Session, but I also don't wanna, select it, press Edit, type the password in that box, then press Enter. I want to double-click, type the password there & not type it again for that Session.

Will consider that.
Meanwhile you cane fake that by checking the Remember password of main session for background transfers.

Quote:
...ah, I guess that'd do it. One Question: is there a way to undo "Set Defaults"? Get back to the real defaults?

Only be cleaning up respective section of configuration storage.

Quote:
Speaking of "Reset to Defaults"...is there an easy way to "Reset the Toolbars to Defaults"?

Not, except the way you've found alredy.

So, more requests...

Quote:
Can you Lock the Toolbars by default?

Not sure if it is good idea.

Quote:
Also, is WinSCP.ini the default settings location now? I started with WinSCP 3.8.2 & I guess it defaulted to the registry & every version since seems to be keeping the registry default (I know I can change that radio button to the ini, but I haven't yet).

INI is default for portable package, registry is default for installation package.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License