Topic "UTF-8 filenames in SCP mode?"

Author Message
AnrDaemon
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-05-14
Posts: 12
When you configure WinSCP to work in SCP mode, it do not allow you to enable UTF-8 filenames on remote side.
It is a bug or intended (mis)feature?

Far2 x86, if that matters.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
AnrDaemon wrote:
It is a bug or intended (mis)feature?

Intended misfeature.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
AnrDaemon
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-05-14
Posts: 12
Great :X
And how to read non-ASCII file names then?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
This issue is being tracked already.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
AnrDaemon
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-05-14
Posts: 12
Thanks.
Guest




Thank you for your nice post. It is very helpful to me
dma_k
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-04-26
Posts: 11
I vote for this feature. I believe, WinSCP should be transformed from ACSII to Unicode version for that (which is a bit of work)? Otherwise remote folder contents should be in the charset compatible with FAR console charset (no way to display Chinese on Cyrillic). I am right?
dma_k
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-04-26
Posts: 11
Pity that full Unicode support is in WinSCP since 5.0, but FAR manager users cannot benefit from this.
irex

Guest


nope. WinSCP 5.0.2 beta does not support Unicode encoding in SCP mode.
AnrDaemon
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-05-14
Posts: 12
dma_k wrote:
Pity that full Unicode support is in WinSCP since 5.0, but FAR manager users cannot benefit from this.

Here's hope that once 5.0 is out, the FAR manager plugin could get some love as well.
irex

Guest


Does anyone have a success for filename Unicode encoding in SCP mode with WinSCP 5.0.2 beta?

It's strange that when I use ssh@cygwin to login the server, all filenames are decoded correctly, but winscp can't.
irex

Guest


Here is a list of ssh clients:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_SSH_clients

But I am not sure which one support scp and filename utf-8 encoding/decoding.
AnrDaemon
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2010-05-14
Posts: 12
PuTTY does, for sure.
bredhedden1
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-01-18
Posts: 1
Location: San Diego
thanks for helpful wikipedia source which is helpful especially for me.
exopper

Guest


I also vote for this feature!
Guest




AnrDaemon wrote:
When you configure WinSCP to work in SCP mode, it do not allow you to enable UTF-8 filenames on remote side.
It is a bug or intended (mis)feature?

Far2 x86, if that matters.


now in winscp5.5,UTF-8 filenames is not allowed in SCP mode Crying or Very sad
Guest




AnrDaemon wrote:
When you configure WinSCP to work in SCP mode, it do not allow you to enable UTF-8 filenames on remote side.
It is a bug or intended (mis)feature?

Far2 x86, if that matters.


found "UTF-8 is not supported with SCP protocol." here: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login_environment

DropBear can transport UTF-8 encode filenames in scp,but remote panel display it in ansi.
when use sshd as host,in scp mode,the remote panel always display filenames in ansi encoding too.
can i change this default encoding to UTF-8?
RalphGL

Guest


using scp connection to a server with LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 did not use UTF-8 coding for filenames.
no way to choose the right character set with winscp?

winscp-version is 5.5.6 built 4746
RalphGL

Guest


I think the information on https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login_environment#utf is wrong.
utf-8 did not work in winscp with a scp-connection either LANG is set on the remote site to UTF-8 or not.
Is it allowed to change the wrong information there? Or will it work as described sooner or later?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
RalphGL wrote:
using scp connection to a server with LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 did not use UTF-8 coding for filenames.
no way to choose the right character set with winscp?

winscp-version is 5.5.6 built 4746


Quote:
I think the information on https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_login_environment#utf is wrong.
utf-8 did not work in winscp with a scp-connection either LANG is set on the remote site to UTF-8 or not.
Is it allowed to change the wrong information there? Or will it work as described sooner or later?


As documented, UTF-8 is supported with SCP protocol in the latest beta release only. Please upgrade.
See https://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=325
RalphGL

Guest


Thank you for your hint! Although utf-8 is set (LANG=de_DE.uft-8) the last beta version did not use UTF-8 if option AUTO is set. But there is an option to change to utf-8 manually and after changing the option utf-8 is used.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
RalphGL wrote:
Thank you for your hint! Although utf-8 is set (LANG=de_DE.uft-8) the last beta version did not use UTF-8 if option AUTO is set. But there is an option to change to utf-8 manually and after changing the option utf-8 is used.

Thanks for your report.
Please attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.
RalphGL

Guest


I created a login file, but I don´t think there is any hint for debugging in it.
The "UTF-8 encoding for filenames" was set to "On". If it is set to "Auto" it did not work.
scp.log (29.76 KB) Private file

Description: The **** are replacements made by me.

martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
RalphGL wrote:
I created a login file, but I don´t think there is any hint for debugging in it.
The "UTF-8 encoding for filenames" was set to "On". If it is set to "Auto" it did not work.

Thanks, but this is a log for "On". I need a log for "Auto".
RalphGL

Guest


sorry, here a log with option auto is coming
scp.log (833.1 KB) Private file

Description: **** here original content ist hidden
... here i removed some content

RalphGL

Guest


[quote="RalphGL"]sorry, this was the wrong log, the new is attached now
scp-auto.log (82.53 KB) Private file

Description: Log with option auto

RalphGL

Guest


please ignore this file, use scp-auto.log instead, sorry
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
Thanks for the log:

Quote:
> 2015-02-10 08:08:27.850 echo $LANG ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
...
< 2015-02-10 08:08:27.850 de_DE@euro


There's no UTF-8.
Maybe you set the LANG to "UTF-8" for interactive sessions only.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
RalphGL

Guest


prikryl wrote:
Maybe you set the LANG to "UTF-8" for interactive sessions only.

Maybe - but i´m not sure, where to change the environment settings for non-interactive shells. Is it /etc/profile.d/ or better /etc/ssh/sshd_config or better to create a user specific ~/.ssh/environment?
I can´t identify the file where LANG=de_DE@euro may be set.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
RalphGL wrote:
Maybe - but i´m not sure, where to change the environment settings for non-interactive shells. Is it /etc/profile.d/ or better /etc/ssh/sshd_config or better to create a user specific ~/.ssh/environment?
I can´t identify the file where LANG=de_DE@euro may be set.

It varies. Try .bashrc (instead of .bash_profile).

Do you use PuTTY? What is value of LANG, when you login with PuTTY with Connection > SSH > TTY > Don't allocate a pseudo terminal turned off?
RalphGL

Guest


prikryl wrote:

It varies. Try .bashrc (instead of .bash_profile).

in my .bashrc
Code:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
export LANG

is st.

prikryl wrote:

Do you use PuTTY? What is value of LANG, when you login with PuTTY with Connection > SSH > TTY > Don't allocate a pseudo terminal turned off?

Normally "Don't allocate a pseudo terminal" is off and the result of set|grep LANG is
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:en
If i activate the button before connecting i cant enter enything (no bash?)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
Well, I'm not an expert on *nix shell environment. But clearly, as you can see, WinSCP behaves correctly, based on the information it gets from your server.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License