Recent Version History
This is a full list of changes for each release of WinSCP. See also Project history and Incompatible changes between versions.
6.2 (not released yet)
- SSH core upgraded to pre-release build of PuTTY 0.79 (2023-05-22.56b16bd).
It brings the following change:
- Support for HMAC-SHA-512. hmac-sha2-512
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 3.1.1.
- Command to open the same folder as in the other panel in local file manager mode. 2189
- Change: SSL (3.0) is no longer supported. TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are disabled by default, to match the OpenSSL 3 defaults.
- Using optimized OpenSSL implementations of some algorithms.
- Support for ProFTPD command
OPTS REST STORto query if upload restart is possible. 2194
- Not showing a filter mask on a disconnected panel.
- Implemented generic
ICollectionimplicitly by .NET assembly collections. 2187
ProxyMethodraw session setting supports symbolical value names.
- Bug fix: WebDAV or S3 certificate that is recognized by Windows Certificate store, but have other issues, cannot be marked trusted by the user. 2191
6.1.1 (not released yet)
- Translations completed: Brazilian Portuguese, Farsi and Portuguese.
- Support for file masks in Keep local directory up to date extension. 1892.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1u.
- Bug fix: Patterns in default values of extension options were escaped in an extension tooltip.
- Translations completed: Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish and Swedish.
- Consistently open the nearest existing parent folder when the current local panel directory is deleted. 2182
- Visual feedback when control (drop down list particularly) is focused via keyboard accelerator.
- Building .NET assembly in Visual Studio 2022.
- Bug fix: Remote file pasted to an external HDD is downloaded twice. 2183
- Bug fix: Callstack debug logging in .NET assembly was broken.
- Bug fix: Corrected hint for Default session color command.
- Bug fix: When reading input
Streamin .NET assembly upload fails in 64-bit process, the transfer is not interrupted.
- Bug fix: Failure when application log cannot be opened. 2186
- Bug fix: Work around key algorithm naming change in OpenSSH 7.7 and older (from pre-release of PuTTY 0.79). 2188
- Bug fix: With debug logging enabled, the echoed script commands and XML log group names miss the command name.
- When saving edited/opened file, optionally warning if it was modified meanwhile externally. 99
- Autoreconnecting a disconnected session when saving an edited file. 1858
- Even user-disconnected sessions can be reconnected when saving files opened from them.
- Allowed reads with non-zero offsets with stream returned by
- Bug fix: When switching from a remote tab to a local tab, the “right” status bar does not show correct information.
- Bug fix: Edit Link command in Explorer interface has incorrect name Link.
- Bug fix: Mark > Select/Unselect command was behaving incorrectly.
- Bug fix: HTTP proxy authentication prompt was not localized.
- Bug fix: Directory tree does not adjust line height to custom panel font size. 2172
- Bug fix: Green artifacts at partial file icon overlay.
- Bug fix: The first copy&paste or drag&drop of remote files to other application might fail in Explorer interface. 2175
- Bug fix: Temporary directory is left behind when WinSCP is closed while it has some remote files copied to the clipboard. 2176
- Bug fix:
Session.EnumerateRemoteFilesdoes not work correctly when the mask includes brackets and other symbols. 2177
- Bug fix: Location profiles should not be used unless the session is connected.
- Compare Directories command is available in local file manager mode.
- Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 6.2.2.
- Translations updated: German and Hungarian.
- Renamed File menu in Explorer interface to Files for consistency with Commander interface.
- Using plural Tabs for consistency with other menus.
- Using the same timestamp format in local and remote file panels.
- Option to allow box-drawing characters to render correctly in an Internal editor. 2169
- Bug fix: Failure when selecting S3 protocol in Login dialog with non-existing
- Bug fix: Tab close button of new session was drawn as clicked, if it was opened from Login dialog popped up after the last session was closed by clicking its close button.
- Bug fix: Rename tab dialog still says “Rename session”.
- Bug fix: Generated code uses obsolete
SessionOptions.WebdavSecureproperty instead of current
- Bug fix: Generated code for unsecure S3 protocol does not include
- Bug fix: Separation of Tab and Session menus was unintentionally not reverted for Explorer interface.
- Bug fix: Wrong behaviour when trying to open a workspace that does not contain any valid session.
- Bug fix:
Ctrl+Topens the wrong type of tab.
- Bug fix: The
!\custom command and PuTTY patterns were not included in syntax hint.
- Bug fix: Hang when FTP directory listing contains nul character. 2167
- Bug fix: Parent directory command was missing its keyboard shortcut in the menu.
- Bug fix: Workspace could not be saved when the active tab was not connected or was local.
- Bug fix: Some control labels were showing keyboard accelerators without keyboard intervention.
- Bug fix: Pressing
Altwith some combo boxes focused did not show keyboard accelerators.
- Bug fix: Failure when starting with colored session. 2168
- Local file manager mode (two local panels). 1893
- Windows 11 flat style graphics.
- SSH core and SSH private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to PuTTY 0.78. It brings the following changes:
- Support for OpenSSH certificates (for user authentication keys). 1873 ssh2-openssh-certkeys
- Support for NTRU Prime post-quantum key exchange. ntru
- Support for AES-GCM (in the OpenSSH style rather than RFC 5647, without hardware acceleration). aes-gcm
- Support for more forms of Diffie-Hellman key exchange: new larger integer groups (such as group16 and group18), and support for using those and ECDH with GSSAPI. rfc8268-dh-groups gss-key-exchange-more-algs
- Ongoing delete operation can be moved to background queue. 194
- New DigiCert EV code signing certificate valid until February 2026 is used for signing binaries.
- Showing directory size in file panel. 41
- MSI installation package. 83
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1t.
- Translations updated: German and Russian.
- File checksum calculation support for SCP protocol and SFTP protocol via secondary shell session using shell commands like
- Tab titles are shortened to fit window width as needed. 1423
- AWS S3 profile selection. 2057
- Consistent behavior across protocols when renaming/moving remote files: 2120
- Asking before overwriting existing files, both for renaming/moving.
- Allowing overwriting existing files even with protocols that require deleting the existing file first and with WebDAV.
- Change: In scripting and .NET assembly, moving a file over an existing file will overwrite the existing file. 2185
- Using SFTP
copy-dataextension to duplicate remote files with servers that do not support
- Allowed scrolling of background transfers queue list view while dragging a transfer. 2154
- Tabs show tooltips with full session name, username, hostname and paths.
- Displaying thanks and transitioning help toolbar message after Store installation over classic installation.
- Remembering remote directory tree nodes state when switching sessions. 1057
- Progress animations for Duplicate and Move To operations.
- Download edited/opened files with up-to-date timestamps. 2122
- Displaying current version on the New version notification. 2125
- Support for S3 servers without TLS encryption. 1995
- Support for redirected WebDAV downloads (even to other hosts). 1667
- Optionally reading password from a file. 2102
- Input files can be read from named pipes. 2118
Shift-clicking New Session command opens the Login dialog in new WinSCP instance, instead of possibly opening new instance of workspace.
- Option to always sort directories by name. 1024
- Bookmark drop-down menu in Explorer interface. 2127
- Preserving changed passwords of ad-hoc sessions in workspace. 2128
- In file panel, file sorting by date and size is by default descending even when initiated by menu, toolbar or keyboard shortcut, consistently with sorting by clicking panel column header.
- Allowed opening all sites in a folder in PuTTY. 2079
- Allowing environment variables in custom INI file path. 2105
- Private key pattern
!Kin PuTTY command-line and custom commands. 2107
- Automatically reconnect when FTP server fails to open data connection with
426code, if it previously worked. 2110
- Cleaning up temporary WinSCP PuTTY sessions.
- Clearing environment variables
- Added import from KiTTY directly to the Import dialog. 1551
- Warn when user selects too verbose logging level that degrades performance. 2155
- Contents of About dialog can be copied to the clipboard using
- Blocking Windows Rich Edit formatting keyboard shortcuts in Internal editor. 2108
- WebDAV/HTTP core upgraded to neon 0.32.5.
- PNG code upgraded to PngComponents 1.9.0.
- When switching tabs, prevent visibly scrolling the panels when focusing the last selected file.
- Removed the “compression” indicator from the status bar.
- Added GSSAPI key exchange algorithms to
- Allowed normal behavior of double-click on a file even when resolving of symlinks is disabled. 2037
SessionOptions.Secure(and applies to S3 protocol too).
Session.ExecutablePathreturns detected or actual executable path when not set. 2055
- Change: Keyboard shortcut for Command Line command changed to
- Do not overwrite existing local file when FTP download fails to start. 2132
- Preventing construction of .NET assembly internal collection classes, what avoids them being unnecessarily registered for COM.
- Hidden configuration option to increase maximal number of background transfers at the same time. 2117
- Not animating task bar button, when items are queued, but processing is disabled
- Removed gap in initial toolbar layout.
- Better formatting of feature list on Interface page of Preferences dialog.
- Optimizing adjusting to updated system font. 2149
- Consistency with loading icons synchronously and on the background. 2161
- Added new
- Selecting the best language with each installation. 2160
- Workaround for using
/ini=nulon systems when reading
nulfile fails. 2163
- Support for FTP
- Not logging supported SFTP extensions included directly in
SSH_FXP_VERSIONresponse as unknown.
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to switch session tabs while previous switch did not complete yet.
- Bug fix: When importing from FileZilla with KiTTY selected as SSH terminal, host keys were imported from KiTTY instead of FileZilla/PuTTY.
- Bug fix: Incorrect escaping of values in single-quoted patterns in custom commands.
- Bug fix: Configuration does not load when using
/rawconfigcommand-line switch and read-only configuration sections.
- Bug fix: When file rename fails, wrong part of filename might be selected in the inline filename editor.
- Bug fix: Mouse cursor flickers while retrieving remote file properties.
- Bug fix: Using any keyboard shortcut with
Altkey shows menu keyboard accelerators permanently.
- Bug fix: Session tabs cannot be dragged when the user has mouse buttons swapped.
- Bug fix: The “Keep temporary copies of remote files in deterministic paths” option applied when duplicating remote files via a local temporary copy and with custom commands, breaking their functionality. 2140
- Bug fix: S3 credentials checkbox on Login dialog had wrong tab order.
- Bug fix: Turned-off keepaliaves are not propagated to PuTTY. 2141
- Bug fix: With password storing administratively disabled, the
/rawsettingsswitch cannot be used to set passwords. 2142
- Bug fix: Focus was lost after checking for updates.
- Bug fix: Failure on startup fatal error.
- Bug fix: Error when uploading file sized just below 32 kB boundary to FTP server over TLS 1.3. 2019
- Bug fix: Failure when doing agent forwarding with Pageant 0.74 or older. 2162
- Bug fix: Pressing
Tabduring incremental search on Login dialog never look into collapsed folders when more than one visible node matched the search.
- Bug fix: File on local network share treated as folder when uploading. 2056
- Bug fix: Failure when parsing FTP checksum response misses the actual response.
- Back-propagated fixes from 6.0 beta release:
- Translations updated: German, Hungarian and Russian.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1t.
- Updated links to online help.
- Improvements to official Batch Rename extension:
- Made GUI refresh optional to allow standalone execution.
- Not failing when specific file do not require any rename.
- Bug fix: Rename fails when the filename contain file mask special characters. 2157
- Bug fix: Failure when system settings change after new version message box was displayed. 2148
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1s.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.5.0.
- Translation updated: German.
Legacyin generated WinSCP scripting PowerShell commandline, which is needed for PowerShell 7.3 compatibility. 2134
- Added new
eu-south-2AWS regions and doubling region drop-down height.
- Bug fix: Moving WebDAV transfer to background aborts the transfer if the server commits the interrupted foreground transfer. 2126
- Bug fix: Failure when saving edited file while current tab is not connected. 2139
- Bug fix: When the current session is encrypted, saved edited file was uploaded using the current session instead of its source session. When the current session is not encrypted, edited files opened in any encrypted session was uploaded on the background, possibly leading to data inconsistent files.
- Bug fix: When reattaching edited file to re-connection session, the file was always attached to the current session instead of the possibly non-active re-connected session.
- Translation completed: Brazilian Portuguese.
- WebDAV/HTTP core upgraded to neon 0.32.4.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.4.9.
- Preventing opening tunneled sessions in PuTTY from Login dialog as it cannot work. 2116
- Bug fix: Agent forwarding does not work. 2113
- Bug fix: Stall when new folder is detected and the drive contains folders with numerical names. 2114
- Bug fix: New version notification is not displaying.
- This is Microsoft Store-only release with the following fix:
- The Donate command removed from the Help menu to comply with Store App policies.
- Translation completed: Farsi.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1q.
- Initial implementation of application logging.
- Bug fix: “Hidden files showing toggled” message displays opposite status.
- Bug fix: Cannot authenticate to WebDAV server with username containing some special characters. 2095
- Bug fix: Checkbox to set permissions recursively on Properties dialog is missing, when changing owner and group is not supported. 2097
- Bug fix: .NET assembly type library cannot be used in WSH. 2098
- Translation completed: Polish.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1p.
- Not offering to create a link to parent directory, when it happens to be selected, when starting to create a link. 2091
- Bug fix: Extension options dialog layout broken on systems with multiple monitors with different text scaling. 2090
- Bug fix: Failure when starting parallel FTP background transfers. 2093
- Bug fix: Directory coloring rules on remote panel do not work. 2094
- Bug fix: Hang when entering small directories with FTP protocol. 2087
- Bug fix: Lag when moving files from remote panel using drag&drop. 2088
- Bug fix: After certain operations, drive that was ever opened in local file panel cannot be safely removed temporarily.
- SSH core and SSH private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to PuTTY 0.77. It brings the following changes:
- Pageant: Option
--openssh-configto allow easy interoperation with Windows’s
- Bug fix: PuTTYgen’s mouse-based entropy collection now handles high-frequency mice without getting confused. win-puttygen-entropy-rate-limit
- Bug fix: Pageant can now handle large numbers of concurrent connections without hanging or crashing. win-pageant-max-connections-2
- Bug fix: If Pageant is started multiple times simultaneously, the instances should reliably agree on one of them to be the persistent server. win-pageant-concurrent-startup
- Pageant: Option
- Improved error message when FTP server returns malformed response. 2077
- Translations updated: German and Slovak.
- Not listing remote directory when downloading file using FTP protocol with overwrite confirmations off. 2084
- Workaround for calls to system API failing when used first time against some network shares (Samba) with paths over the legacy Windows limit. 2082
- Workaround for an apparent bug in Windows 11 that prevents WinSCP from stopping Windows going to the sleep mode during transfers. 2083
- Workaround for specific encoding of commas in filenames (and particularly directory names) by OneDrive WebDAV interface. 2085
- Bug fix: When transferring a growing file, after its original size is reached, the
Session.FileTransferProgressevent starts being triggered continuously. 2078
- Bug fix: Restored pre-5.20.3 behaviour with MVS systems. 2086