- Local file manager mode (two local panels). 1893
- Windows 11 flat style graphics.
- SSH core and SSH private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to PuTTY 0.78. It brings the following changes:
- Support for OpenSSH certificates (for user authentication keys). 1873 ssh2-openssh-certkeys
- Support for NTRU Prime post-quantum key exchange. ntru
- Support for AES-GCM (in the OpenSSH style rather than RFC 5647, without hardware acceleration). aes-gcm
- Support for more forms of Diffie-Hellman key exchange: new larger integer groups (such as group16 and group18), and support for using those and ECDH with GSSAPI. rfc8268-dh-groups gss-key-exchange-more-algs
- Ongoing delete operation can be moved to background queue. 194
- Showing directory size in file panel. 41
- MSI installation package. 83
- File checksum calculation support for SCP protocol and SFTP protocol via secondary shell session using shell commands like
- Tab titles are shortened to fit window width as needed. 1423
- AWS S3 profile selection. 2057
- Consistent behavior across protocols when renaming/moving remote files: 2120
- Asking before overwriting existing files, both for renaming/moving.
- Allowing overwriting existing files even with protocols that require deleting the existing file first and with WebDAV.
- Change: In scripting and .NET assembly, moving a file over an existing file will overwrite the existing file.
- Allowed scrolling of background transfers queue list view while dragging a transfer. 2154
- Tabs show tooltips with full session name and paths.
- Displaying thanks and transitioning help toolbar message after Store installation over classic installation.
- Remembering remote directory tree nodes state when switching sessions. 1057
- Progress animations for Duplicate and Move To operations.
- Download edited/opened files with up-to-date timestamps. 2122
- Displaying current version on the New version notification. 2125
- Support for S3 servers without TLS encryption. 1995
- Support for redirected WebDAV downloads (even to other hosts). 1667
- Optionally reading password from a file. 2102
- Input files can be read from named pipes. 2118
Shift-clicking New Session command opens the Login dialog in new WinSCP instance, instead of possibly opening new instance of workspace.
- Option to always sort directories by name. 1024
- Bookmark drop-down menu in Explorer interface. 2127
- Preserving changed passwords of ad-hoc sessions in workspace. 2128
- In file panel, file sorting by date and size is by default descending even when initiated by menu, toolbar or keyboard shortcut, consistently with sorting by clicking panel column header.
- Allowed opening all sites in a folder in PuTTY. 2079
- Allowing environment variables in custom INI file path. 2105
- Private key pattern
!Kin PuTTY command-line and custom commands. 2107
- Automatically reconnect when FTP server fails to open data connection with
426code, if it previously worked. 2110
- Cleaning up temporary WinSCP PuTTY sessions.
- Clearing environment variables
- Added import from KiTTY directly to the Import dialog. 1551
- Warn when user selects too verbose logging level that degrades performance. 2155
- Contents of About dialog can be copied to the clipboard using
- Blocking Windows Rich Edit formatting keyboard shortcuts in Internal editor. 2108
- WebDAV/HTTP core upgraded to neon 0.32.5.
- PNG code upgraded to PngComponents 1.9.0.
- When switching tabs, prevent visibly scrolling the panels when focusing the last selected file.
- Removed the “compression” indicator from the status bar.
- Added GSSAPI key exchange algorithms to
- Allowed normal behavior of double-click on a file even when resolving of symlinks is disabled. 2037
SessionOptions.Secure(and applies to S3 protocol too).
Session.ExecutablePathreturns detected or actual executable path when not set. 2055
- Change: Keyboard shortcut for Command Line command changed to
- Do not overwrite existing local file when FTP download fails to start. 2132
- Preventing construction of .NET assembly internal collection classes, what avoids them being unnecessarily registered for COM.
- Hidden configuration option to increase maximal number of transfer at the same time. 2117
- Not animating task bar button, when items are queued, but processing is disabled
- Removed gap in initial toolbar layout.
- Better formatting of feature list on Interface page of Preferences dialog.
- Optimizing adjusting to updated system font. 2149
- Consistency with loading icons synchronously and on the background.
- Added new
- Bug fix: Failure when trying to switch session tabs while previous switch did not complete yet.
- Bug fix: When importing from FileZilla with KiTTY selected as SSH terminal, host keys were imported from KiTTY instead of FileZilla/PuTTY.
- Bug fix: Incorrect escaping of values in single-quoted patterns in custom commands.
- Bug fix: Configuration does not load when using
/rawconfigcommand-line switch and read-only configuration sections.
- Bug fix: When file rename fails, wrong part of filename might be selected in the inline filename editor.
- Bug fix: Mouse cursor flickers while retrieving remote file properties.
- Bug fix: Using any keyboard shortcut with
Altkey shows menu keyboard accelerators permanently.
- Bug fix: Session tabs cannot be dragged when the user has mouse buttons swapped.
- Bug fix: The “Keep temporary copies of remote files in deterministic paths” option applied when duplicating remote files via a local temporary copy and with custom commands, breaking their functionality. 2140
- Bug fix: S3 credentials checkbox on Login dialog had wrong tab order.
- Bug fix: Turned-off keepaliaves are not propagated to PuTTY. 2141
- Bug fix: With password storing administratively disabled, the
/rawsettingsswitch cannot be used to set passwords. 2142
- Bug fix: Focus was lost after checking for updates.
- Bug fix: Failure on startup fatal error.
- Bug fix: Error when uploading file sized just below 32 kB boundary to FTP server over TLS 1.3. 2019
- Improvements to official Batch Rename extension:
- Made GUI refresh optional to allow standalone execution.
- Not failing when specific file do not require any rename.
- Bug fix: Rename fails when the filename contain file mask special characters. 2157
- Bug fix: Failure when system settings change after new version message box was displayed. 2148
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1s.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.5.0.
- Translation updated: German.
Legacyin generated WinSCP scripting PowerShell commandline, which is needed for PowerShell 7.3 compatibility. 2134
- Added new
eu-south-2AWS regions and doubling region drop-down height.
- Bug fix: Moving WebDAV transfer to background aborts the transfer if the server commits the interrupted foreground transfer. 2126
- Bug fix: Failure when saving edited file while current tab is not connected. 2139
- Bug fix: When the current session is encrypted, saved edited file was uploaded using the current session instead of its source session. When the current session is not encrypted, edited files opened in any encrypted session was uploaded on the background, possibly leading to data inconsistent files.
- Bug fix: When reattaching edited file to re-connection session, the file was always attached to the current session instead of the possibly non-active re-connected session.
- Translation completed: Brazilian Portuguese.
- WebDAV/HTTP core upgraded to neon 0.32.4.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.4.9.
- Preventing opening tunneled sessions in PuTTY from Login dialog as it cannot work. 2116
- Bug fix: Agent forwarding does not work. 2113
- Bug fix: Stall when new folder is detected and the drive contains folders with numerical names. 2114
- Bug fix: New version notification is not displaying.
- This is Microsoft Store-only release with the following fix:
- The Donate command removed from the Help menu to comply with Store App policies.
- Translation completed: Farsi.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1q.
- Initial implementation of application logging.
- Bug fix: “Hidden files showing toggled” message displays opposite status.
- Bug fix: Cannot authenticate to WebDAV server with username containing some special characters. 2095
- Bug fix: Checkbox to set permissions recursively on Properties dialog is missing, when changing owner and group is not supported. 2097
- Bug fix: .NET assembly type library cannot be used in WSH. 2098
- Translation completed: Polish.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1p.
- Not offering to create a link to parent directory, when it happens to be selected, when starting to create a link. 2091
- Bug fix: Extension options dialog layout broken on systems with multiple monitors with different text scaling. 2090
- Bug fix: Failure when starting parallel FTP background transfers. 2093
- Bug fix: Directory coloring rules on remote panel do not work. 2094
- Bug fix: Hang when entering small directories with FTP protocol. 2087
- Bug fix: Lag when moving files from remote panel using drag&drop. 2088
- Bug fix: After certain operations, drive that was ever opened in local file panel cannot be safely removed temporarily.
- SSH core and SSH private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to PuTTY 0.77. It brings the following changes:
- Pageant: Option
--openssh-configto allow easy interoperation with Windows’s
- Bug fix: PuTTYgen’s mouse-based entropy collection now handles high-frequency mice without getting confused. win-puttygen-entropy-rate-limit
- Bug fix: Pageant can now handle large numbers of concurrent connections without hanging or crashing. win-pageant-max-connections-2
- Bug fix: If Pageant is started multiple times simultaneously, the instances should reliably agree on one of them to be the persistent server. win-pageant-concurrent-startup
- Pageant: Option
- Improved error message when FTP server returns malformed response. 2077
- Translations updated: German and Slovak.
- Not listing remote directory when downloading file using FTP protocol with overwrite confirmations off. 2084
- Workaround for calls to system API failing when used first time against some network shares (Samba) with paths over the legacy Windows limit. 2082
- Workaround for an apparent bug in Windows 11 that prevents WinSCP from stopping Windows going to the sleep mode during transfers. 2083
- Workaround for specific encoding of commas in filenames (and particularly directory names) by OneDrive WebDAV interface. 2085
- Bug fix: When transferring a growing file, after its original size is reached, the
Session.FileTransferProgressevent starts being triggered continuously. 2078
- Bug fix: Restored pre-5.20.3 behaviour with MVS systems. 2086
- Translations completed: Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish and Ukrainian; and updated: Vietnamese
- Streaming support in .NET assembly and scripting for FTP protocol. 1945
- Improved compatibility with MVS systems. 2069
- New .NET assembly method
Session.TryGetFileInfo. Thanks to @RachamimYaakobov. 2068
- Expanding environment variables in Open Directory/Location Profiles dialogs in local paths. 909
- Optimized loading of large directories. 1631
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1o.
- Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 6.2.1.
- When group (Site/Shared) to which new location profile is added is changed, switching the page to the target group.
- Preventing occasional exhaustion of resources while testing WinSCP executable version on repeated use of .NET assembly. 2075
- Bug fix: Capabilities of S3 sessions were not shown.
- Bug fix: Misplaced warning about unused scripting parameters when
/rawsettingscommand-line switch is used. 2070
- Bug fix: File panels malfunction when files are dropped from other application to it. 2071
- Bug fix: When logging transfer statistics, recent transfer speed was logged instead of average speed of whole transfer. 2073
- Bug fix: z/OS PDS members without ISPF statistics are omitted in directory listing. 2076
- Translations updated: German and Vietnamese.
- SSH core upgraded to pre-release build of PuTTY 0.77.
It brings the following changes:
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1n.
- WebDAV core upgraded to neon 0.32.2.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.4.8.
- Allowed uploading edited files over encrypted session. 1989
- Building .NET assembly in Visual Studio 2019.
- Optionally not flashing taskbar button when WinSCP needs attention while in the background. 2067
- In .NET assembly or scripting with “nul” configuration, when WinSCP registry key does not exist, do not write statistics to INI file. 2066
- New less prominent icon for Quit command.
- Bug fix: Failure when attempting to switch to an unconnected sessions using keyboard shortcuts while another session is being connected.
- Bug fix: Removing all custom commands resets the default ones when INI file is used. 2059
- Bug fix: Failure when changing remote folder using directory tree while previous directory is still loading. 2060
- Bug fix: Drive that was ever opened in local file panel cannot be safely removed until WinSCP is closed. 2061
- Bug fix: “Optimize connection buffer size” checkbox was disabled for S3 although it has effect for the protocol. 2058
- Bug fix: Custom commands menu fail to open. 2062
- Bug fix: Local drive menu does not reflect some changes. 2063
- Bug fix: Using drive menu to change to an invalid drive fails silently.
- Bug fix: Scripting command
lsin FTP session displays timestamps without year even if the server (notably IIS) provided the year, if it did not provide seconds. 2065
- File masks relative to the root of an operation. 2052
- Private key can be provided as string in .NET assembly and scripting. 2044
- Support for importing key files that are specified using home
~prefix from OpenSSH
- Translation updated: German.
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1m.
- Commands that do not fit on Custom Commands toolbar are presented in drop-down menu, instead of a horizontal bar. 554
- First hiding right-most Custom Commands toolbar commands that do not fit.
- Prevent hang when dragging files without drag&drop shell extensions when some mapped network drive is not available. 2054
- Added new
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.4.2.
- Bug fix: When initial remote directory specified in the
opencommand does not exist, the error was silently ignored.
- Bug fix: File color rules with path mask do not work for local files.
- Support for ACL for S3 protocol. 1641
- SSH core upgraded to PuTTY 0.76. 1984
It brings the following changes:
- It is possible to import sessions from OpenSSH
- Change: Removed support for SSH-1.
- Optionally keeping symbolic link name in path instead of resolving it with SFTP protocol. 81
- Improved shortening long paths, when single level name is too long on its own. 2043
- WebDAV core upgraded to neon 0.32.1.
- Allow displaying all VMS file revisions with FTP protocol. 1944
- Support reading S3 credentials from AWS CLI configuration. 1941
- Bytes transferred are recorded in XML log and available in .NET assembly API. 597
- Generating PPK3 keys.
- It is possible to copy information to the clipboard from the Properties dialog.
WinSCP.exebe deployed even when WinSCP NuGet package is included as transitive dependency. 2017
- When performing a single-item atomic operation, displaying indeterminate progress status.
- S3 Security token session option renamed to a more appropriate Session Token.
- Not resetting protocol to WebDAV when S3 protocol is selected and HTTP URL is pasted on the Login dialog. 2045
- Automatically reconnect when FTP server fails to open data connection, if it previously worked. 2046
- Confirm closing when multiple tabs are opened and auto workspace saving is not enabled, even when none of the tabs contain an active remote session.
- Including host key of tunnel session in generated code. 2006
- Support for custom certificate store files with configurable path. 2034
- Allowed providing tunnel private key passphrase in scripting. 2029
- Improved handling of long shell command error messages. 1949
- Considering global passive/active mode settings when importing sessions from FileZilla
- Automatically retry when S3 transfer fails with
503code (Slow down or Service unavailable). 2047
- Improving formatting of errors displayed after an operation completed in Continue on error mode.
Shift+Ctrl+Rkeyboard shortcut for Reconnect Session command.
- Change: Keyboard shortcut for Restore Selection command changed to
- Change: Monitoring
- Preventing beep when using
Alt+Enterto open the Properties dialog.
- When collecting list of files for background transfer, say “Listing” instead of “Calculating” not to give an impression that it is a superfluous operation. 2026
- Checking for too many parameters with
- PNG code upgraded to PngComponents 1.7.0.
- Warning when selecting too new key file.
- Warning when opening more than 100 tabs. 1997
- Including HTTP message into S3 error message.
- Bug fix: Do not say “Terminated by user” when the session has actually timed out.
- Bug fix: Cannot use passwords and passphrases longer than 255 characters in automation and various other purposes. 1988
- Bug fix: When size of a file downloaded with FTP protocol changes (or when ASCII mode is used) the logged size did not reflect the actual transfer size.
- Bug fix: When connecting disconnected session the directory might be loaded twice.
- Bug fix: Failure when entering directory that contains file with a slash in its name. 2016
- Bug fix: When S3 authentication region changes during session, previously visited buckets from the original authentication region could not be accessed anymore. 2027
- Bug fix: Failure when using multiple connections with local proxy command. 2028
- Bug fix: Configuration import did not remove old sites and did not load all GUI settings. 2040
- Bug fix: When S3 transfer fatally fails, error details were lost.
- Translation updated: German.
- Back-propagated fixes from 5.20–5.20.2 releases:
- TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1m.
- XML parser upgraded to Expat 2.4.6.